Thursday, October 4, 2012

NFL Thursday: Fantasy deadzone

Welcome to the fantasy apocalypse: Rams vs. Cardinals in prime time.
The NFL Network's expanded schedule of Thursday games is without doubt the greatest addition to my weekly TV habit since Archer came on the air. But with it came the potential for great frustration when non-marquee match ups are featured in marquee slots due to scheduling limitations. Last week we were treated to the Browns (breathing prime time air for the first time in, well, a very long time) vs. the Ravens in what turned out to be a gosh darn good game of football. But going into it who wouldn't have rather seen Green Bay v. New Orleans or San Fran. v Jets as the Thursday night game?

At least going into the Ravens/Browns game last week there were fantasy implications, even if they were mostly clotted on one side of the field. Between Joe Flacco, Anquan Boldin, Torrey Smith, Ray Rice, Ravens D, Dennis Pitta there was a lot of fantasy interest on the Ravens. This week we might as well be watching the Alouettes  play the Blue Bombers for all the fantasy action going on. The Rams have Danny Amendola, Steven Jackson is questionable because of a lingering groin injury, and Sam Bradford is questionable due to being Sam Bradford. On the Cardinals' side you've got Larry Fitzgerald and the D. And that's pretty much it unless bye week woes have forced owners to start Kevin Kolb, or a kicker.

Across four leagues and 35 positions I have not one player going tonight, and with 4 opponents and their corresponding rosters the only nugget of interest I could dig up was one guy starting Rams' kicker Greg Zuerlein. Not a whole lot to tune in for there in spite of the Cardinals being undefeated to this point and the Rams not being horrible. I'm a 49ers fan so I'm deeply interested in the Cardinals not going 5-0, so I'll tune in. But if you aren't an NFC West fan or Kevin Kolb's mom I can't imagine what allure this game will hold for you. Hey NFL, did you know Philly is playing Pittsburgh at 1 on Sunday?

Next Thursday: Pittsburgh @ Tennessee? C'mon!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about Andre Roberts? I have him in 3 leagues and starting him in 2. Yes I do have several players on byes.

ericdedwar said...

Sure. Gotta fill out your roster in one way or another, but I'm always leery of starting a guy the week after he went bonkers for the first time. You usually see some regression. He is, after all, only getting started in like 30% of leagues.

Art of the Fan said...

I think Ryan Williams is starting in a fair amount of leagues. I've got Fitz, Williams (in 3 leagues) and the Cards Def (in 2 leagues); so this will be a marquee matchup as far as I'm concerned.

ericdedwar said...

Williams is starting in somewhere between 40% & 50% of leagues, tho considering his output I'd have to blame that squarely on bye weeks. I know I'd feel happy going into a game where my opponent was starting him. There - now he's guaranteed a TD.

J said...

I would have had a fantasy interest if not for a recent roster move. With Santonio on IR and Hicks destined to never recover from this foot thing until he's not on my fantasy team, I was facing the reality of starting Early Ducett. Fortunately, I was able to drop him and pick up Hartline. Yeah, I know he's going to follow up that monster game with 1 catch for 2 yards, but what can I do?

I do want to watch the Cards, if only out of morbid curiosity. I have watched bits and pieces of them on Sunday Ticket, but I'm interested to see how they are doing this. The Rams aren't all that great, but it's an interesting matchup.

Here's an unsolicited fantasy tip for everyone: Bench all your Panthers. Why? Because when the Seahawks take the field with those barf-making uniforms, all the Panthers players and fans will upchuck all over the place.

Anonymous said...

I've got Greg the Leg tonight. The man put up 18 fantasy points last week.

ericdedwar said...

"Greg the Leg"
You can't beat that.