Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Player Haters' Companion - Matt Schaub

It's August and fantasy football is upon us. Any mistakes you make in your upcoming drafts are mistakes that could haunt your season like corned beef haunts your lower GI. You've looked at the angles. You've giggled at your opponents keepers. You've fallen asleep trying to read Matthew Berry's 100 fantasy football facts - the abridged version. Everyone knows Aaron Rodgers is a winner, and Ocho Cinco is too worried about the demise of his reality show to even care that he got released by the Dolphins, so we're making it easy by picking the players we love to hate and hate to draft.

Player You Hate: Matt Schaub*

If you've never owned Matt Schaub, it's hard to hate him. If you've ever owned him, you will appreciate his inability to live up to that hype. If you've always owned him, you hate Matt Schaub. There is, in our estimation, a few free passes players are allowed before we kick them to the hate curb. These passes are calculated through a complicated algorithm that includes things like "weapons charges," "shrinks from  preseason expectations" and "wears a stabilizing boot." So while Schaub has been given a little extra time for not being a gun-toting jock, he fails miserably on a number of other important metrics. Basically Schaub has had some fantastic seasons - when he plays the whole season - but he has ended more seasons with a red cross by his name than is acceptable for a guy who has been a top 10 QB draft for the past many seasons. Nothing kills a fantasy season like having your No. 1 QB go down (especially if you'd taken him higher than the 4th round). Also there is a direct correlation between Schaub and top tier receiver Andre Johnson's success. When Schaub's ankle hurts himself that is one thing, when it affects AJ, that's unacceptable. And for that, we hate Matt Schaub.

*It would appear however that fantasy owners are all over this as his average draft spot has fallen into the 10th round this year. Considering the cesspool of a division he is playing in, and the RB strength surrounding him, we do feel that picking him up in the 7th might not be a horrible crime, just don't be surprised when he only plays half the snaps this year.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grabbed him in a mock draft in the 11th as Vick insurance. That low, he's a value pick and could be great trade bait for later in the season if he's having a decent year.

J said...

This was my #1 QB last year. I believe I posted on this blog somewhere around week 3 that I was so frustrated that some of my furniture was in danger. Then his play really picked up, then went in the toilet when Andre Johnson got hurt. I got really lucky when Schaub got hurt; I was in playoff contention but the bottom-feeders of my league had just made waiver claims, so when I put in a claim for TJ Yates, I got him. That kept my season alive, although I got bounced in the semifinals.

Can I offer a suggestion as a player to hate? That would be Torrey Smith. You know, the speed demon WR in Baltimore that spent would have a 50-point game one week and a 2-point game the next...

ericdedwar said...

J - I'm with you on Smith - but he was a rookie last year so he gets a pass. Though I do need a few hate-able players to round out the week. Maybe his name will work it's way in there somewhere.

704Champ said...

My all time hated fantasy football player has got to be Lee Evans.

It never seems to fail that when I have him in my roster, he gets 1 catch for 7 yards. When I wise up and sit him on my bench, he goes off for 200 yards and 2 TDs. I think he's mocking me.

NFL News said...

I am impressed by your lovely post which i were really looking for.you possess lots of understanding on this subject.