Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Conspiracy of Ryan Mathews

I should have known something was wrong just by the way he spells his name. If I had asked myself the question: "Where did that second 'T' go?" I might have come to the conclusion that it was injured and never to be heard from again.

The San Diego Chargers' RB Ryan Mathews was the preseason lead-pipe lock to be the best rookie runner in the game. The type of talent that demands 2nd if not 1st round consideration. His average draft position of 14.8 bears this out. I'd never seen him run but like many others I got caught up in the hype and was disappointed when he didn't fall to me in the second round. My co-owner, typically a very reliable talent scout, dropped glowing endorsements all over Mathews. So high was his praise that when a computer glitch (that's what I'll call it) autodrafted Mathews for me in my Vegas league I considered it a gift. But I was wrong.

In 7 weeks, Mathews has racked up a depressive 49 points and has only had two outings in double digits. This is bad. What's worse is that before I truly came to understand the type of bust I was dealing with I let the aforementioned co-owner (did I mention his acumen?) talk me into trading our struggling, headache-inducing RB Joe Addai plus our IR'd Sidney Rice for Mathews when his stock was perceived as "low."

Of course saying that Mathews' stock was low in week 2 is like saying that the U.S. has experienced an economic "dip." Of course I don't know this yet. It's week 3, I've got Mathews in two leagues and all around me are promising notes from prominent fantasy writers telling me that next week is certain to be Mathews breakout week. Until he drops a fantasy loaf.


Now I am feeling a touch of buyer's remorse, but still the media chatter tells me that Mathews may be a little dinged up, but that's not going to be able to suppress his domination for long. Then another loaf. Then more plaudits followed by more loaves until I'm up to my neck in more highly acclaimed crap than Mitch Albom could produce in a thousand lifetimes.

Now, I'm stuck with him. No one wants this guy. His trade value is at Marshawn Lynchian lows, if that's possible. He's the backbone of my 2-6 team, and if it weren't for the sickest crew of wideouts ever assembled and the continued faith I place in Jamaal Charles, he'd be driving my keeper team to an early grave too.

But still, CBS Sports gives him the vaunted orange sticker that indicates he's a hot player. How is that possible? I think I've got it figured out. It's a psychological test being run on us as unwilling and unwitting participants. Someone wants to see how much control those little player updates have on our roster habits. Will we start a buffoon all season long because someone in Yahoo! tower tells us to? Will we never start someone with a negative prognosis?

Well I, for one, and opting out of this cycle of destruction. Until that "T"-challenged jerk starts earning his keep with some 100-yard games, I'm benching the crap out of him. No more Mr. Hopeful guy. No more of this Childress-style of coaching. If the dude doesn't produce, he's not starting.

Hopefully, when Mathews reads this tomorrow morning he'll get the message loud and clear that owners like me aren't going to stand for this kind of namby-pamby play. Hopefully that will light a fire under him to play at a high level. Until then he can sit around and complain about the collard greens with Randy Moss.

-Eric Edwards

23 comments:

Clausen's Creek said...

I have Mathews. It sucks. I defended the pick at my draft saying "look at what Adrian Peterson did his rookie year." It's not working out like I hoped it would. Luckily, I got Darren Mcfadden later in the draft and he's been able to keep my team afloat.

The Owners said...

McFadden is driving me insane. This was supposed to be Michael Bush's year. Whatever. I'm over it. See, your fantasy karma worked out, you over paid for Mathews but got a great bargain on DMac.

Carl said...

The fact that,Ryan Mathews was the preseason lead is really interesting and about the Ryan Mathews is amazing to know.

__________________

dissertation Writing

Dissertation Writing said...

The Conspiracy of Ryan Mathews <-- that's what i was looking for
Writing a Dissertation

Amanda said...

I have been reading so many blogs since I am using internet but till now, this one is the one stop solution to all the problems I have been facing. Thank you.

writing a dissertation

Sample Dissertations said...

A very good post indeed. It's a shame about some of the responses. A very good post and an excellent blog. I am now a follower. Thanks, Steve
Dissertations | Essays

pamella said...

This is my Good luck that I found your post which is according to my search and topic, I think you are a great blogger, thanks for helping me outta my problem..
Dissertation Introduction Writing

thanksgiving dresses said...

This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw.

Dissertation said...

What a fun pattern! It's great to hear from you and see what you've sent up to. All of the projects look great! You make it so simple to this. Thanks!Dissertation Writing Service

Anonymous said...

I must show some thanks to this writer just for bailing me out of this particular issue. As a result of browsing through the net and seeing views which are not productive, I assumed my life was well over. Being alive devoid of the solutions to the issues you have fixed as a result of your entire post is a serious case, and ones that could have negatively damaged my entire career if I had not come across your web site. That expertise and kindness in dealing with a lot of stuff was crucial. I am not sure what I would’ve done if I had not encountered such a subject like this. I’m able to at this time look forward to my future. Thanks so much for your skilled and sensible guide. I will not hesitate to suggest your blog to anybody who needs and wants support about this topic. Cell Phone Lookup | Outdoor Lighting | Pellet Stoves | Outdoor Flood Lights | Used Pellet Stoves | Outdoor Security Lights | Landscape Lighting Ideas

PCB Prototype said...

You got a really useful blog. I have been here reading for about an hour. I am a newbie and your success is very much an inspiration for me.

earnbangla said...

good ... thanks for sharing information for this Browser i really impressed and want some more stuffs again for this post.
ptc

Dennis said...

Your article is very informative. You have written it very well. I have bookmarked you website. Thanks for sharing.
marketing dissertation

watch simpsons said...

The main theme of the site is very outstanding and it is very much useful for the new readers like me. I was looking for this kind of sites for a long time. I am waiting eagerly for its further publications.

Thanks for sharing.
http://zsimpsons.com/

yacht booker said...

Maybe we should do it like you said. I am sure that we can have great results.

Jacob Hubbard said...

This is a fantastic post. You have explained it very well. I appreciate your work. I am going to bookmark your website. Thanks for posting.
custom written dissertation

loriray said...

The post is marvelous. You have written it very well. I feel like reading it again and again. I admire your work. I am going to bookmark your website. Thanks for posting.term Papers Writing Help Online

sherry wood said...

I really like your way of writing. You have explained the topic well. I have become your fan. I will keep on coming here to read new articles. I am very thankful to you.
Research paper writing format

Rita Summers said...

I would like to say that your article is awesome. You have good command on the topic. I will tell my friends about your website. Thanks for posting.
Free business term paper samples

houses said...

Hello
Thanks for posting! I really like what you've acquired here; You should keep it up forever! Best of luck
Thank you!

Dissertation said...

Thanks for posting! I really like what you've acquired here; You should keep it up forever! Best of luck
Thank you!

dissertation writing said...

I must show some thanks to this writer just for bailing me out of this particular issue. As a result of browsing through the net and seeing views which are not productive, I assumed my life was well over. Being alive devoid of the solutions to the issues you have fixed as a result of your entire post is a serious case, and ones that could have negatively damaged my entire career if I had not come across your web site.

dissertation writing service

website development company said...

Beautiful words, fluent, the article central thought clear, the author of this article is really good, let me read, still want to look forward to many more of the good article appeared