Monday, September 27, 2010

The only thing we have to fear is being dumber than a box of rocks

Part 1 in in a continuing series on how I sabotage my own fantasy season

Last week I talked my opponent into benching Michal Vick (vs the Lions) and starting Donovan McNabb (vs the Texans). Naturally I outclevered myself and McNabb outfantasied Vick by 12 points. Fortunately I still beat the guy so all's well that ends well.

But you can't expect such blundering to go unpunished for long, and this week it seems, the cows have come home to roost. It's not a done deal, but I've got the most tenuous 20.5 point lead anyone has ever had in a game of fantasy football. Why? I made two classic fantasy blunders: I started my starting RB (Addai) even though he's started to look like he used his last bit of energy exploding in the preseason. I seriously considered replacing him with my new friend (and possessor of the finest nickname in football) BenJarvus -The Firm - Green-Ellis who went for 98 and a TD. Compared to Addai's meager 29 yards, this would have been a game-changing swap.

And if that's not bad enough, I benched another starter (Witten) in favor of Mercedes Lewis who dropped a steamer of a 2.5 point game against the Eagles. And I knew it was coming. I had the misfortune of drafting Witten last year and I stayed on that horse all season until late in the year I said enough is enough. The second I drop him? BAM! 20 point day. Same thing here. A benched Witten is a productive Witten. #&@%*$.

So instead of enjoying MNF from the standpoint of a man with a 38 point lead and a Kicker. I get to sit helplessly by while Cutler pulls my heart out all night long while I pray for Gould to nail half a dozen or so 50-yard field goals. There is nothing more stressful than watching your lead deteriorate at the hands of a QB when all you have to defend yourself is a Robbie Gould.
Go kicker go.

-Eric Edwards

1 comments:

J said...

Like I said in the next post, I started Colston over Peyton Hillis. Didn't matter, I won by 40 in a league where the average score is 150-125. But Colston is driving me to drink. I'm considering dropping him altogether. Of course he'll get 5,000 yards and 100 TDs in the last 13 games if I drop him, and 100 yards and no TDs the rest of the year if I keep him.

I need to stop listening to some of these "experts." I fell for not starting Hillis because of the opponent. This is not the 2000 Ravens D. They are good but they're getting old. The experts, like the rest of us, fall victim to including past reputation in their analysis. For proof, I'm sure you can find some expert who will include in his analysis of the Saints D this week that the Panthers are a good running team, which of course we in Charlotte know is their reputation and not their 2010 production. So that would be my advice to the planet - beware of reputation in analysis of a player or team.